Monday, April 26, 2010

80's Corner


E.T. the Extra Terrestrial was a monster movie release in the early 1980's ... certainly, it vaulted Steven Spielberg to new heights. It even spawned a video game for the Atari 2600, one that is commonly referred to as one of the worst video games ever made (although, I loved it for some reason).

It was such a big happening that my mom took me to see the movie (usually, I went with my cousin, but for some reason, the movie wasn't playing at the local mall). I remember loving this movie, and loving Reese's Pieces because ET loved the candy (by the way, smart move M&M's, that was supposed to be your plug).

Years later, the movie was released on VHS to much fan-fare. I remember buying it so that my younger brother could experience the movie, but for some reason, it didn't really hold up for me. Sure, it's still a great movie, but it wasn't quite what I remembered it being.

Ah, the memories!

6 comments:

scargosun said...

This is one of the reasons I don't go to see movies. Too real for me and made me cry. The scary men in the white suits didn't help either

Mike Minzes said...

The first movie I ever cryed at....but I'm not gay or anything.

paige said...

I may be the only person on Earth who has never seen ET.

paige said...

I may be the only person on Earth who has never seen ET.

Heff said...

The Atari 2600 game DID kinda suck, lol !

Steph said...

ET came out when my little brother was just a little guy. ET scared him shitless. Somewhere we got a little ET figurine and to this day we strategically place it to scare the shit out of my brother.