Monday, June 29, 2009

Song of the Week

In "honor" of the passing of the king of pop, I figured the least I could do was to focus this week's song of the week to Michael Jackson. Now, I'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan, but I don't mind his music, either ... well, at least not his early music (I'd say until about 1991). None of his albums are on my top 10, 20, or 50 lists, but I would say that in the pantheon of rock/pop music, Jackson's Thriller ablum would have to fall into one of the greatest albums ever made.

His Thriller album produced what seemed to be endless hits - Billy Jean, P.Y.T., Thriller, Wanna Be Startin' Something, Human Nature ... I mean, my god! That's a career for most pop artists, isn't it?

I left one song out ... probably the best song on the album ... maybe the best song he's ever done. Think about it ... the song is absolutely catchy, employs many of Michael's memorable grunts, employs an underrated baseline, and was spoofed by Weird Al Yankovic (probably the greatest of the accolades).

Not only that, but Eddie Van Halen provides an uncredited guitar solo ... which probably helped the song achieve cross-over status from purely pop stations to rock stations.

Plus, Michael looked like a badass in this video, involved in a gang fight ... that sadly transformed into some ridiculous dance-off. Still, a great song, and a good video. Michael was at the top of his game.

2 comments:

Superstar said...

I was stunned by the news. Heart problems at his age, in this day and age.

Then again, I did watch that made for TV show about the Jackson's and my guess is that he worried himself to death.

I thinnk his new video would have inspired many a "flashmob" scene.

Lisa said...

I'm so surprised at how many people are buying up his CDs from every record store, internet site or anyplace they can find his music. Didn't these people already own it? Um, hello .... I've got "Off the Wall" and "Thriller" on vinyl, tape and CD. Later stuff, on CD.

Most certainly I thought he was a weirdo, but as a lover of music and entertainment there's no denying his talent.

Dead or alive, I'll still be doing (or trying to do) his dance moves when I get a few drinks in me. .....babs