Wednesday, July 22, 2009

1980's Corner


Not sure if this will be a recurring segment (I'll leave it to you to tell me whether this is "Dope or Nope."). Anyway, since I grew up in the 1980's, I figured I would impart some of my wisdom and experiences to the decade that brought us Acid Washed jeans, leg warmers, and A Flock of Seagulls.

This week, I focus on the Sit and Spin ... now, before I get any messages saying that this device was actually created in the 1970's, let me assure you that I don't care. To me, this was personified in the 1980's.

Basically, the Sit and Spin is a device/toy that allowed kids to experience getting drunk without having to drink. You sat down indian style (I know, I know ... this is no longer politically correct to say ... loosen your belt-buckle!) on the platform. Next, you put your hands on the wheel in the center, and then you spun around as fast as you could. Usually, if you did this for more than 30 seconds, you would get light-headed ... I think after a minute of this, you could puke ... 2 minutes, and you were a certified politician.

It was so simple, yet so much fun. I facebooked that I wish they made these for adults, and apparently somebody told me that they do. Sadly, I haven't found it.

4 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

Dope. Never had one of those as a kid, but I do remember having a big wheel similar to the 'green machine'. One of my favorite toys from back in the day.

snowelf said...

Nice post, Los!!

My daughter and son had the new fancy one that sings and plays "simon says" when you sit on it. Ah, technology. Sadly we just sold it because they outgrew it, but it was fun while it lasted...

--snow

Heff said...

Yes, it's a 70's toy.

Ok, I've GOT TO ASK....Has anyone besides me had sex on a Sit and Spin ?

El Padrino said...

nope