Monday, July 27, 2009

Song of the Week

George Thorogood is like Liverwurst ... you either love his music or you hate it. I fall in the first category - I'm a big fan of "Blues-style" music, and love his metallic-sounding guitar. Plus, his voice fits in well with the sound of his band. He's seen better days, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean the man can't put out good music anymore.

Case in point - his new effort, a song called Taildragger. Very traditional-Thorogood-sounding (think Madison Blues). It starts off with a guitar pick sound similar to a loud ticking-clock. This is followed by Thorogood's trademarked growl. Nothing new to this sound - strong and steady backbeat ... check; slide guitar ... check; many, many solos ... check. But, much like AC/DC, he doesn't have to stray. The music is good just the way it is.

Have a listen to a couple of his new songs here.

You can find out more about Lonesome George here.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I love George Thorogood. I love slide guitar. My cousins band used to play Get a haircut. That songs is on my top 100 favorites songs of all time. I'm changing my iPod to George now.

Anonymous said...

did you just compare a singer to liverwurst? you rock.

Heff said...

He's aight. I really haven't heard enough of his stuff to be a proper judge, though.

snowelf said...

Hi Los :)

I'll have to check these out at home.

--snow

Jeff said...

Love the genre. Like Thorogood. If only his songs weren't all the same scale.