Friday, July 31, 2009

80's Corner




Ah, the Green Machine. You were the coolest of the big wheels. If you were a kid, and you were lucky enough to be the owner of the Green Machine, you instantly became the coolest kid on the block ... sort of like the Mayor the street.

The Green Machine was sleek, fast, and different. It was green for crying out loud! Plus, it didn't have a steering wheel, just two gears you would push and pull to steer. This made it easy to spin out the green-machine ... by far, the coolest trait of any big wheel.

Sadly, I didn't have a green machine. No, I had the traditional big wheel - you know, red, and yellow, with the blue seat ... yeah, the boring one. I was not the cool kid ... I was not the Mayor of the street. I was just a typical serf of the neighborhood, riding around in my normal big wheel, with my normal Buster Brown sneakers (no, I didn't even have Zips). Sigh.




Just look at this commercial! The voice is famous. The kids were show-boating. It was like they were selling you a new car! Man, I wanted it! I wanted to drive it with my grey corderouys ... I wanted to easily slide through an obstacle course of road cones. There's no way my red big wheel could do this.

4 comments:

El Padrino said...

they mock us

Heff said...

Aw, now you're rubbing me in a special place !

You PEON !

Heff actually OWNED the "Lean-Green Machine" !

Yes, I was the MAN on the block.

The most awesome thing I remember about this solid plastic monster, is that you could shove one gear forward, and the other one back, and go in to ONE HELL of a Tailspin ! Those were the days....Please excuse me. I have to go pay bills, and rinse my dentures now....

(crying.....)

Heff said...

Once again, I HATE to be an anal ass, but this is the SECOND time you've posted something as an "80's" item, and it was actually released in the late 70's.

Get your timelines straight, dude !!!

I wasn't even peeing my pants anymore by the 80's !

snowelf said...

I really wanted some zips too!! I never had a big wheel, but my brother had a CHiP's one! :)

--snow