Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Weekly Homework Assignment


It's time once again for Mama Kat's weekly homework assignment. This week, I chose the prompt: They just don't make (fill in the blank) like they used to! So many to choose from, but I chose the Nestle Crunch Bar. At one time, this was my favorite candy-bar ever! A long thin tablet of chocolately goodness hiding fun rice crisps that somehow made eating it all the more fun.

It was wrapped in a silvery tinfoil-like ... ummm ... wrapper, and a Nestle Crunch name-plate wrapper (or whatever they call it). I notice about 15 years ago, the fine folks at Nestle did away with the tinfoil wrapper, which was ok with me as long as the quality and taste of said candy-bar deliciousness didn't change. Sadly, the lack of tinfoil wrapping did cause a change in taste. I'm not sure why. Maybe it has something to do with locking in flavor. Maybe unwrapping the tinfoil that revealed the chocolate from Heaven only made it seem to taste better (and quite frankly, made it seem ritzier).

Or maybe, Nestle decided to cut other corners along with the retiring of the tinfoil wrapping ... like skimping out on the recipe - replacing integral components with cheaper and inferior ingredients. I'm not sure what the deal is, but Nestle Crunch rapidly fell out of my top 5 ... and then the top 10 ... and the freefall continues.

13 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I think it's true of most candy from my childhood. They've all repackaged, gotten smaller, and lost their tasty "magic" - maybe that's a good thing?

It's candy, after all...it's not supposed to be mealtime!

Cajoh said...

Stopping by from Mamma Kat's,

Don't know why, but I have seen way too many candies just not taste the same. Of course, I realize that my tastes change as I get older, but one would think that a simple candy bar would not change that dramatically.

Don't you wish you could just go back in time and snatch up several hundred cases so you could enjoy the original goodness anytime you wanted.

sirgeb said...

You know what's as good as always?

Dollar Dog Night

Hells yeah!!!

KMServino said...

stopping by from Mama Kat's...

I agree fully that there was something magical about the foil wrapper. A lot candy bars had them, Mr. Goodbar, Hershey, and now none...zip.

Unknown said...

I loved that wrapping too, I think it did add to the enjoyment!

snowelf said...

It could be the wrapping. I am convinced that soda tastes better in styrofoam cups. You rarely even can get those anymore.

--snow

El Padrino said...

that's a damn good chocolate bar

KatBouska said...

It's totally the tin foil. In my opinion all candy bars should come wrapped in it. It just makes the entire experience more enjoyable.

Heff said...

My favorite candy of ALL TIME was without question...THE "CHUNKY" BAR. A solid inch thick brick slab of chocolate with raisins inside, and yes, wrapped in tin foil. I can't find those anymore for SHIT !

Summer said...

I completely agree. All the candy from the 80's I'd say was better. Or maybe it was better because it didn't stay on my thighs....

Superstar said...

I agree...I thought it tasted less "rich" than when I was a kid. I just chaulked it up to "changing adult taste buds"....LOL
Tinfoil makes everything seem "ritzier"...LOL

Ink and Stone said...

One of my favorite candy bars.

Unknown said...

This is a good one. I have noticed that alot of things that used to taste spectacular taste different now. Whatchamacallits come to mind. You know, from Hersheys? I can't remember if they have tin foil wrappers still or not.