Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Attention Radio Program Directors ...

Many of you know the annoyance I have for terrestrial radio ... sure, I listen to it - usually with Preston and Steve in the morning, and sports-talk radio at other times (when I'm NOT listening to my cds). You probably know some of my "typical" complaints - too much talking by the DJs, very small and redundant playlists, reluctance to play anything new, playing the same 3 songs by the same 3 groups (enough already with the Metallica, Ozzy, and Zeppelin!). I won't bore you with repeating these messages. I figured I'd talk about a couple of others:

* When you play Tainted Love by Soft Cell, you MUST play the "Baby-Baby" ending. This is how everybody remembers it. Yes, I know it's really another song, but so what. If they played "We Will Rock You" by Queen, you'd expect them to play "We Are the Champions" right after it, wouldn't you? This is the same thing. Just do it!

* While we're talking about the "2-song" thingy, I think you HAVE to play "Mediate" along with "Need You Tonight," by INXS. This is the way it was done on MTV, and this is the way it should be done on radio. Problem is, NOBODY does it. Why is this?

* There are a couple of radio stations in Philly (I'm looking at you, BEN), who cut songs short. They take out important guitar solos, or choruses, just so they can get the song in at the 3-minute mark. That's disgraceful, guys! You're better than that! Play the song like it was meant to be played. You annoy people when you don't!

* 610-WIP sports-talk hosts - this one goes out to you. The pitcher's name is Roy HALLADAY, not Roy HOLIDAY! Could you please get this right! And please, correct all the idiot callers who are calling him HOLIDAY! Oh, and it's Jaguars, not JAGWIRES.

There, I feel better.

4 comments:

Heff said...

I feel your pain. We have ONE Classic rock station in our area, and the play THE SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER. It's insanity.

snowelf said...

I'm on board with the INXS thing too!

Although I do eat ketchup on my hot dogs. :P And I swear baseball hotdogs are the best hot dogs ever.

--snow

Steph said...

Radio pretty much sucks. I just listen to my iPod mostly. Then the songs that are supposed to after another are. We only have one descent radio station here and they are usually talking a bunch of nonsense rather than playing music.

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Sounds like the guy who say JAGWIRES might be from Pittsburgh - the land of funny speech.