Sunday, July 12, 2009

What's the difference, anyway?

Some of you more mature (see older) bloggers may remember the Miller Lite commercials of the later 70's and early 80's. Most of these commercials took place in a bar with former athletes who would get into an argument about the beer being "less filling" or "tastes great." The commercials would usually end with John Madden tearing through a Miller Lite sign, babbling about something beer or football-related.

So, why am I bringing this up? Now, I'm not 100% sure, but I think Miller Lite originally was the light version of Miller High Life? I think it makes sense, right? So, that's why I'm questioning Miller pushing Miller High Life Light beer. What was the point of this (and yes, I know many of you probably question the point of light beer itself)? Was there really a market for people who loved Miller High Life, but just didn't like Miller Lite, AND wanted a light beer that tasted more like Miller High Life?

Is Miller mulling the idea of putting out a full-strength version of Miller Lite, and if so, what would they call it? It's just something I've been thinking about for some reason.

4 comments:

Heff said...

I'm pretty sure they're just trying to incorporate the "High Life" attitude into the light beer lifestyle. Occasional drinkers (1 to 3 beers) usually drink the "regular" versions, while bingers (such as myself) go for quantity over quality, and drink the light stuff.

Jeff said...

Prescription Strength Miller.

Superstar said...

High life as in "high" or high life as in, rich, expensive? Isn't funny how one word and have so many different ideas?

I haven't known many tokers that got high, then drank it up too...is that the group they are targeting???

Ink and Stone said...

"Miller Heavy"!