Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Weekly Homework Assignment

It's time once again for Mama Kat's weekly homework assignment! This week, I chose the following prompt: Soundtrack of your life: Pick 10 songs that you would have on a soundtrack for your life, pick a line from each that you most identify with and write a short statement of why this song made it.

As you probably know, I love me some music! To some, I'm probably a music snob. I'm always looking for new music to listen to, or to inspire me (inspire me to do what? good question!). Anyway, this list isn't going to be new music - just music that I've been inspired by in the past/present. In no particular order ....

10. Waiting on a Friend by the Rolling Stones - One of my all-time favorite lines ever is in this song - "A smile relieves a heart that grieves." Just absolutely wonderful.

9. Days by the Kinks - A hauntingly beautiful song ... kind of reminds me of my older brother. The line "Thank you for the days, those endless days, those sacred days you gave me" brings a tear to my eye almost every time.

8. All Together Now by The Farm - I picture college in my head ... our apartment, senior year ... I see the bar we built, and the awesome stereo system ... ah, the memories! My favorite line from this one - "The same old story again, All those tears shed in vain, Nothing learnt and nothing gained, Only hope remains."

7. Fight For Your Right to Party by the Beastie Boys - This song reminds me of high school, and high school parties (most of which my parents wouldn't let me go to ...). This song just brought on a major adrenaline rush! Love the opening lyrics - "You wake up late for school man you don't wanna go, You ask your mom "please?" but she still says "NO!""

6. All I Want is You by U2 - It's my wife and my wedding song ... best day of my life! How 'bout these lyrics - "But all the promises we make, From the cradle to the grave, When all I want is you."

5. TNT by ACDC - Say what you will about this band, but their music as awfully catchy. This would be my entrance theme if I was a wrestler. These are some crazy lyrics (not sure exactly what is meant) - "So lock up your daughter, And lock up your wife, Lock up your back door, And run for your life."

4. Wir Lieben Die Sturme by Heino - A German "volks-musician" that my parents absolutely love - I probably heard his music almost every day as a child growing up ... yes, at the time it was annoying, but it reminds me of my parents and of my childhood ... you probably wouldn't understand the lyrics, so I won't bother ...

3. You Just Don't Move Me by Keith Richards - I had gone through a pretty hard breakup in high school, and this song soothed me. My favorite lyrics - "Now you wanna roll the dice, You already crapped out twice ..."

2. Bandages by Hot Hot Heat - We had just purchased our house, and were working on it almost every day in the spring and summer, and this song was being played quite a bit on Y-100 ... it reminds me of the excitement of our first house. Fitting lyrics (based on the cuts and bruises I got from working on the house) - "These bandages cover more than scrapes, cuts and bruises from regrets and mistakes."

1. Give it Up by K.C. and the Sunshine Band - This was when I was in middle school and just getting into "pop-music" before I smartened up with rock music ... It just reminds me of listening to 98-WCAU-Hot-Hits as an adolescent. Love these lyrics - "Everybody wants you - everybody wants your love. I'd just like to make you mine oh mine."

5 comments:

Steph said...

I love AC DC. Great list!

Sandi said...

Waiting for a Friend is one of my all-time favorites.

Tina L. Hook said...

Excellent list. Isn't it funny how music can transport us back to a moment in time?

Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Wedding was the best day of your life. I love that. You are such a softie :) You can't fool me!

Ink and Stone said...

AC/DC!!!! Loudest concert I've ever been to! With Ministry/Sepultura coming in a close second. :)