Wednesday, February 10, 2010

80's Corner


The Hackey Sack ... the name itself makes most people think of college hippies standing in a circle, wasting time, listening to the Grateful Dead, and hemp. This is all thanks to the 1980's. What a fad, right? I mean, it's a little sack filled with little balls, kind of like a bean-bag chair for cock-roaches. How much does it cost to make a hackey sack, anyway? The person who came up with the idea is probably siting in some penthouse sharing expensive drinks with the inventor of the pet rock.

This fad became so popular, that it was part of EPYX's "California Games" title for the Commodore 64. I was never really good at Hackey Sacking ... it really wasn't my thing, to tell ya the truth. But, I was pretty good at the Commodore 64 version.

6 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

Hackey Sack? Never heard of it.

Heard of 'Happy Sacks'. That's what you kick someone in if you don't want them getting up too quickly...;-)

Steph said...

My friends and I used to play hacky sack in high school. There was usually some smoking of illegal plants involved.

Mike Minzes said...

I used to play it in high school. and I was a grit! lol

Lisa said...

"Hack" reminds me of coughing and plegm. "Sack" reminds me of balls. So the name "Hackey Sack" always makes me think of phlegm balls. Couldn't they have picked a better name for the thing?

Ink and Stone said...

Still hacking after all this time.

-B- said...

Started way back in homeroom and in the courtyard in igh school - and still hacking with Ink here in the office. It's a good break to stretch the ol' legs out!