Saturday, February 27, 2010

80's Corner

Remember "Hands Across America?" I remember the big hooplah around it ... the commercials, the news coverage ... heck, there was even a song created for it. But, to be honest, I don't remember why it was done ... thank goodness for Wikipedia, right?

Here's what Wikipedia says: "Hands Across America was a benefit event and publicity campaign staged on Sunday May 25, 1986 in which approximately seven million people held hands in a human chain for fifteen minutes along a path across the continental United States. Participants paid ten dollars to reserve their place in line; the proceeds were donated to local charities to fight hunger and homelessness and help those in poverty."

I didn't take part in Hands Across America ... I guess I wish I would've or could've.

Here's a video promo for this:

2 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

Apparently several hand holders didn't turn up as they weren't entirely certain where America was....;-)

snowelf said...

I totally remember this too. Wasn't it at the same time as the "We are the World" stuff?

--snow