Friday, February 19, 2010

The Wha??? I mean, The Who???


There's been a lot of talk about the Who's half-time performance at this past Super Bowl ... most of it negative. I watched and thought they sounded great. Sure, they look old, but hey, that's what happens when you reach your mid 60's. The performance, in my opinion, was worthy of a Super Bowl Halftime Show.

Sure, had it not been for Janet Jackson's nipple shot, Super Bowl halftime shows would probably be different. But, seriously, how great were those Super Bowl halftime shows before? I mean, really - Aerosmith with NYSNC and Brittany??!?!?!? Really? Aerosmith has never been the same (lost lots of street cred with that blunder).

Yeah, we're running out of old bands to bring out on stage - I'm guessing we may see The Eagles, Bon Jovi, maybe U2 and the Chili Peppers at some point. I'd personally like to see The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, or some newer bands (please, no Creed or Nickleback!!!). I think I'd be ok with Outkast or Black Eyed Peas.

But for me, I think it's ok to have classic rock legends like the Who, McCartney, The Stones, and Springsteen play the Super Bowl ... its a big stage for big bands.

5 comments:

sirgeb said...

I'm pretty sure U2 already played the Super Bowl Halftime. Yep- check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_halftime_shows

Actually looking at the list- the two that MTV did were a complete disaster, so let's not let them make anymore choices in entertainment...

What other legendary bands could do the halftime show? The Eagles are a good guess. Maybe Billy Joel/Elton John? AC/DC? This one pains me, but maybe Garth Brooks?

Jeff said...

El Vez or Lounge Against the Machine.

snowelf said...

Sigh... I am not really a fan of this type of music very much, so pretty much all of the superbowl halftime shows since the Janet Jackson incident have been kinda a snorefest to me. Just not digging them. I even had to call my parents this year to find out who the band actually was cause we started watching it halfway through. My mom loved The Who, but thought they sounded really rough and had not aged well.
So yea...I am disappointed in the choices of entertainment because there are so many other newer bands with a low risk of getting naked that I like better. Of course, musical opinion is so varied and I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me that classic rock is the best music ever, but it's just not so much my taste. I totally agree that The Killers would be awesome to see. And Black Eyed Peas would be great-Fergie can be a little risky, but how hard is it to just set down some rules and ask the guests to follow them. Cripes...look at the trashy outfit J-Lo was wearing on the New Years Eve show...That's not really necessary and there's no reason why you can't be a tasteful young performer and still look hot on stage. I'm honestly surprised they haven't had someone from the cast of American Idol yet.

--snow

Paige Jennifer said...

My initial thought? Oh, Weekend At Bernie's, British rocker edition. My second thought? Eh, they're holding their own okay, considering they've all probably had hip replacement surgery.

It worked but in light of the talent that has been birthed since The Who formed, it'd be nice to have someone more current hit the stage.

-B- said...

I agree - I was looking forward to seeing The Who play this, and was surprised and proud that my son stopped what he was doing and sat down with me and watched every min (he's an old soul - he loves classic rock bands thanks to Rockband and Guitar Hero!!), so I really enjoyed it and thought they sounded pretty good for their age.